Biographical Sketches: C Surnames
Charles W. Cansler
School Principal. Born May 15, 1871, Maryville, Tenn.; son of Hugh L. and Laura Ann (Scott) Cansler; married Lillian C. Webber, June 29, 1898; one child, Mrs. Willard Wilson Daves, born June 24, 1899; educ. Freedman's Normal Inst., Maryville, Tenn.; Maryville Coll., Maryville, Tenn.; author of "Cansler's Short Methods in Arithmetic", published 1895; Lectured and gave exhibitions of "Lightning Calculations" in many Northern States, 1891-92; Lawyer, Knoxville, Tenn., 1894-96; Principal, Burnside School, Knoxville, Tenn., 1896-98; Teacher, Austin High Sch., Knoxville, Tenn., 1898-1910; Principal, Colored High Sch., 1910-1928; Principal, Green Sch., 1928-present; Republican Nominee, State Legislature of Tennessee, 1895; Organizer and First Pres., East Tennessee Teachers' Assn., 1912; member Masons; Pol. Republican; Relig. United Presbyterian; Address, 900 Payne Ave.; Residence, 1805 Brandau Ave., Knoxville, Tenn. He has done much for the advancement of the Race in Knoxville, helping to secure increased school facilities, playgrounds and libraries. A tablet in the beautiful Carnegia Library, in Knoxville, bears this inscription: "This tablet is erected by the City Commissioners of Knoxville in recognition of the faithful efforts of Charles W. Cansler, who first conceived the idea of this Library for his Race, and who helped materially in securing it." Another honor conferred by the City of Knoxville was the naming of one of the leading streets of that city for his family. Source: Thomas Yenser, editor, Who's Who in Colored America (Brooklyn, New York: Thomas Yenser, 1942), 103.
James L. Cary
College Professor. Born June 9, 1874, Thornton, Holmes County, Miss.; son of David and Julia (Bowers) Cary; married Sallie Bonham, Sept. 7, 1905; five children, Clara Estella, born Aug. 27, 1906; Lillian Hazel, born Feb. 21, 1909; J. Leonard, born Aug. 11, 1910; Edwin Lawrence, born Sept. 4, 1914; Samuel Everett, born Sept. 4, 1914; educ. Alcorn A. & M. Coll., Rodney, Miss., 1894-96; Knoxville Coll., Knoxville, Tenn., 1898-1904; A. B. 1904; Divinity Sch., 1909; A. B. Indiana Univ., 1918; M. A. Northwestern Univ., 1925; Taught sch., Holmes Co., Miss., 1904-1911; Head English Dept., Knoxville Coll., Knoxville, Tenn., 1915-present; Organized Student Inter-Racial Comm., East Tennessee; Pres. N. A. A. C. P. (local branch); member of State Inter-Racial Committee; Pol. Republican; Relig. Presbyterian; Address, Knoxville College; Residence, 1665 College St., Knoxville, Tenn. Source: Thomas Yenser, editor, Who's Who in Colored America (Brooklyn, New York: Thomas Yenser, 1942), 112.
Peyton Carter, a liveryman and farmer of Knox County, Tenn., was born in that county March 13, 1845, and is the son of Peyton (Sr.) and Lucinda Carter, both natives of Virginia. They came to Tennessee about 1827 and settled in Knox County. Our subject received a common-school education, and in 1868 married Miss Martha M. Shipe, daughter of Alexander Shipe, a farmer and tanner. She was born in Knox County, Tenn., October 11, 1847, and by her marriage became the mother of two children: Walter H. and Charles B. The former was born August 5, 1869, and the latter February 18, 1873. Mr. Carter is the owner of 325 acres of well improved land in District No. 16, Knox County, and is also the owner of the largest livery and feed stables in Knoxville. They are situated at 282 Crozier Street, 16 and 18 Hardee Street, and 13 and 15 Sullivan Street. He is the sole proprietor of the stable, and in it he has a capacity for 100 wagons and 200 horses. It covers 20,350 feet of ground, and is provided with rooms for gentlemen and families. He has connected with it free scales for the use of farmers. Mr. Carter is a Republican in politics, and a stirring, energetic business man. Source: History of Tennessee (Nashville, Tennessee, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1887), 933.
Mary Hume Crozier
(November 16, 1858 - August 7, 1938) Mary Hume Crozier, teacher, civic worker, political leader, was born in Knoxville, daughter of John Hervey and Mary (Williams) Crozier (q.v.). Her paternal grandfather, John Crozier (q.v.) was a merchant and postmaster at Knoxville. She was educated in the schools of Knoxville and had private tutors. Her father was one of the leading lawyers of the city and a congressman. Also her sisters, Mrs. L. C. French (q.v.), and others were active in cultural affairs. Mary Crozier was one of the "most active and effective civic workers of her time." She taught school four years in Georgia and five years at the East Tennessee Female Institute, of which Mrs. French was the principal. She was a member of Ossoli Circle, the women's literary society, of St. John's Episcopal church and of the Ladies' Memorial Association, which sponsored the establishment of the Confederate Cemetery. For a number of years she operated summer resorts among which were Avondale, Walland and Wonderland Park. She was one of the organizers and charter members of the Knox County Democratic Women's Club; was vice-president of the club. She served on the Knox County Election Commission and on important political committees. She presented a portrait of her grandfather, John Crozier, painted by Eleanor McAdoo Wiley, to Postmaster WoodruffBooth when the new postoffice building was opened. She died in Knoxville and was buried in Gray Cemetery.Source: Mary U. Rothrock, editor, The French Broad-Holston Country: A History of Knox County, Tennessee (Knoxville, Tennessee: East Tennessee Historical Society, 1946), 405.
John M. Currier
Accountant; born Knox Co., Tenn., August 30, 1854; Scotch-Irish descent; son of John and Mary W. (Martin) Currier; father, farmer; educated at Maryville, Tenn; began his career as clerk and bookkeeper; elected Clerk of the County Court of Knox Co., Tenn., August, 1906, re-elected without opposition in 1910; married Lucy Hudiburg, March 14, 1894; president board of trustees First Methodist Episcopal church, Clinch avenue, Knoxville, Tenn. Source: Who's Who in Tennessee: A Biographical Reference Book of Notable Tennesseeans of To-Day (Memphis, Tennessee, Paul & Douglass Company, 1911), 217.