Part of the American History & Genealogy Project


Fourth Presbyterian Church: Early History

The Fourth Presbyterian Church was organized April 25, 1886, in the Edgewood school house, with eighteen members, most of whom had been for some time members of other Presbyterian churches, but wanted a church of their own denomination nearer their homes.  The elders chosen at this time were W. O. White, C. E. Lucky, and Robert Irvin, and the deacons, Charles Champion, and Charles Evans.  The sermon on the occasion was preached by Rev. T. S. Scott.  A church building was erected the same year, on the corner of Coleman and Luttrell streets, which cost about $4,000, and was dedicated November 6, 1887, but the first services held therein were held November 7, 1886.  The present membership of the church is about 275, and of the Sunday-school, 140.  The value of the church property, including the parsonage, is $10,000.  Rev. E. A. Elmore has been pastor of this church ever since its organization.  Source: William Rule, editor, Standard History of Knoxville, Tennessee (Chicago, Illinois, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1900), 431.


  • COPYRIGHT: Knox County Pages is copyright © 2018 by Donna Sims Conner.  All rights reserved.  The information on this site is made available for personal research only.  Commercial use is prohibited.
  • DISCLOSURES: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this data, no certifications are made regarding the authenticity or the completeness of any record or material presented.
  • CREDITS: Site search provided by Freefind.  Icons made by Freepik from and licensed by CC 3.0 BY.  This website is part of the American History & Genealogy Project and generously hosted by Genealoogy Village.